In this fast-paced and ever-evolving digital landscape, it has become imperative to adopt a proactive approach to data protection. Gone are the days when traditional methods like manually copying files to external drives sufficed. Today, backup software offers a comprehensive and efficient solution that automates the backup process, ensuring the safety and accessibility of your data. The recent release of Nakivo Backup & Replication v10.9 is a testimony of that with the announcement of several significant enhancements to the flagship product.
As usual, you can download Nakivo Backup & Replication v10.9 with a 15-day free trial.
With NAKIVO Backup & Replication v10.9, you can recover an entire system to “bare metal” on the same hardware using configured bootable media. In order to proceed with bare-metal recovery, you must have:
- A backup for the source physical machine.
- The created source physical machine backup on a supported Backup Repository.
- Bootable media has been created successfully by the product or manually using a downloaded .iso file.
On the Backup page of the restore wizard, you can select the repository on which the backup is located from the Repositories pane and choose the needed backup and recovery point.
You can then select the hard drives you wish to recover and, if necessary, choose a target drive to map each source drive to. Note that it is not possible to select more source drives than the target machine can support. Similarly, you cannot select a source drive whose size exceeds the size of each target drive obviously. Once you have configured recovery options and hit
Recover, it will initiate bare-metal recovery.
Backup Malware Scan
This new feature offers Ransomware-free recovery by integrating with anti-malware software to scan backups for malware before recovery. A wide range of anti-malware software is currently supported with:
- Microsoft Windows Defender
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- Sophos Intercept X
- Clam AV
- Sophos Protection
When the feature is enabled, the antivirus software is installed on a Repository Transporter or on a designated Scan Server added to the inventory to detect if malware is present in a backup.
It achieves a much stronger ransomware resilience in order to meet strict security requirements.
Direct Recovery From Tape
As you know, even in 2023, there is no real replacement for tapes when it comes to archiving. The incredible capacity they offer and ever improving performances make them remain a solution of choice to safe guard important data when following the 3-2-1 rule. Nakivo v10.9 offers faster and simpler VM recovery from tape.
The feature offers:
- Recovery of virtual machines and EC2 instances directly from backups stored on tape.
- Improved recovery times by eliminating the staging requirement.
- Recovery of VMware vSphere VMs, Microsoft Hyper-V VMs, Nutanix AHV VMs, Amazon EC2 instances and Physical machines as VMs.
New OS support
- vSphere 8 Update 1: Protect your ESXi VMs and application data running on the latest version of VMware’s platform.
- Debian: Install the solution on Debian operating systems and/or protect your Debian OS-based physical machines.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication now supports Direct Connect to allow access to remote resources via a single port connection without the need to establish a VPN connection. This feature is especially useful for MSPs providing services to remote clients where having a persistent VPN connection to each customer site is not desired.
As a result, you can securely connect to the remote resources of tenants, including VMware Free ESXi hosts, physical machines and NAS-based Transporters seemlessly.
- Added the ability to use an external PostgreSQL database for the NAKIVO Backup & Replication Director in multi-tenant deployments to maximize reliability.
- Users with only a Microsoft 365 Student SKU no longer require a paid NAKIVO Backup & Replication license.
- Added the option to truncate Microsoft Exchange Server and SQL Server logs to the Nutanix AHV backup job wizard.
- Added the ability to browse to a directory in the Destination step of the Hyper-V replication, recovery, and flash VM boot wizards.
- ARM-based instance types may now be selected when deploying Amazon EC2 instances.
- Reports can now display Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Arabic, and US special characters.
- SaaS repositories now display the space consumed by individual recovery points.
- Lowered the minimum configurable block size for processing data to 4 KB.
- Improved the UI refresh behavior for tables.
- Added support for Nutanix AOS v6.5 (LTS).
- Contact lists are now included in Microsoft 365 backups.
With Nakivo Backup & Replication v10.9, the company focuses on fundamental aspects of the SDDC that concern all customers with new VMware version support, bare-metal recovery and direct recovery from tape. The virtual appliance form factor is also appreciated as it simplifies the deployment, updates, backups when it comes to dealing with the backup server.
As usual, updating to Nakivo v10.9 is as easy as it gets and you can find all the details you need in the documentation.